Wayfair is looking for a Senior Machine Learning Engineer to join our industry-leading personalization platform and product recommendations engine that aims to maximize Customer Lifetime Value using the wealth of data we have about our customers and their preferences in style, budgets and needs. Wayfair’s Personalization team provides the core platforms and services that allow our customers to discover and buy the products they love by serving the right items to every customer on every touchpoint. Our systems leverage Wayfair’s extensive customer and product data to deliver trusted and valuable recommendations and results in real time using custom machine learning models. Our mission-critical services are called over a billion times a day. Recommendations is a core competency for Wayfair and a high priority lever we’re using to drive outsized growth, customer value, and profitability.
What You'll Do
- Provide technical leadership to a focused team of 5 - 10 engineers
- Work with a broader highly collaborative cross-functional team that includes product managers, data scientists, and analysts.
- Own the technical vision for your workstream.
- Work with a variety of technologies, including Java, Python, Hive, Spark, Kafka, Aerospike, Airflow, RESTful web services, gRPC, Kubernetes, Keras, Tensorflow, GCP.
- Build platforms and services that allow us to make realtime ML powered decisions.
- Deliver direct measurable results for our business and customers through improved product recommendations and search results.
What You'll Need
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Data Science, or a related engineering discipline
- At least 7 years of experience in a senior engineer or technical lead role.
- Deep understanding of Data Structures and Algorithms
- Experience designing and developing scalable distributed systems with deep understanding of architectural and design patterns, object oriented design, modern program languages.
- Solid understanding of foundations of Big Data systems and hands-on experience with distributed computational frameworks such as Apache Spark / Apache Beam and NoSQL datastores such as HBase / BigTable / Cassandra / Aerospike including tuning and optimization.
- Deep knowledge of parallelism and concurrency to leverage modern hardware for serving ML models.
- Experience with building and maintaining highly available, production ML systems at scale.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work effectively with engineers, product managers, data scientists, analysts and business stakeholders.
- Passion for mentoring and leading peer engineers.
- Designing and developing recommendation systems and productionalizing ML models for real time decisions, large-scale data processing and event-driven systems and technologies is a plus.
- Ability to write efficient SQL queries for processing large scale data.
- Some knowledge of GCP offerings such as Vertex AI, BigQuery, Cloud BigTable, BigQuery ML would be a bonus
Wayfair Inc. is an American e-commerce company that sells furniture and home-goods. Formerly known as CSN Stores, the company was founded in 2002. Their digital platform offers 14 million items from more than 11,000 global suppliers. The online company is headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts, Wayfair has offices and warehouses throughout the United States as well as in Canada, Germany, Ireland, and the United Kingdom.