We believe that our company’s success depends on the passion and creativity of our amazing employees. To create environments in which our people can fully thrive, we turn to our guiding behaviors: Be human. Make it real. Think about tomorrow. These set the tone for Best Buy, along with our Rallying Cry: Let’s talk about what’s possible. Our supportive leaders collaborate with their teams through ongoing feedback and two-way dialogue to maintain a culture continual learning. All these factors combine to create an unbeatable experience for both customers and employees. If you like to have fun while you work, build confidence and grow your career, you’ll fit right in.
We at Best Buy work hard every day to enrich the lives of customers through technology, whether they come to us online, visit our stores or invite us into their homes. We do this by solving technology problems and addressing key human needs across a range of areas, including entertainment, productivity, communicating with coworkers and loved ones, preparing nutritious food, providing security for your home and family, and helping you take your health to the next level.
As a Principal Machine Learning Scientist/Engineer,, you’ll take the reins leading technical efforts to research, develop, and applying cutting-edge machine learning and artificial intelligence algorithms to build innovative technologies, services, and products that solve the company's hardest problems and accelerate Best Buy's core growth. In this role you will combine your leadership skills with strong software engineering expertise and deep knowledge of ML and AI algorithms to lead technical efforts to architect, develop, and operationalize models, algorithms, and production quality codebases that form the core engines that unleash the next generation of customer experiences and transform the way Best Buy operates day-to-day.
Join us if you like:
- Leading the design and development of ML solutions as services for variety of exciting domains
- Mentoring and coaching a team of ML Scientists & Engineers leveraging state-of-the-art machine learning and deep learning techniques such as Transformer models with multi-headed self-attention, Bayesian optimization, and Graph Neural Networks and more!
- Applying software engineering skills to lead development and deployment of solutions that can scale to millions of requests per second with millisecond latency
- Utilizing broad and deep knowledge of machine learning and software engineering to contribute to the roadmap of Best Buy’s core machine learning capabilities
- Having fun!
- Bachelor's degree in a highly quantitative field (Computer Science, Engineering, Physics, Math, Operations Research or related) or equivalent experience
- Prior experience building, deploying, and serving ML models as resilient, elastically scalable cloud native services
- Extensive machine learning and algorithmic background with expert level understanding of at least one of the following areas: supervised and unsupervised learning methods, reinforcement learning, deep learning, Bayesian inference, graphical modeling, or nonlinear/stochastic optimization
- 8 years of experience building ML and/or AI driven products or other similar related functions (e.g. software engineering, data science, advanced analytics). Advanced degrees in relevant fields may be counted towards experience requirements.
- Fluency with at least one data science/analytics programming language (e.g. Python, R, Julia)
- Strong software design and implementation skills with a general-purpose programming language (e.g. Scala, Swift, C++/C#, Java, Haskell, etc)
- Master's degree or Ph.D in a highly quantitative field (Computer Science, Engineering, Physics, Math, Operations Research or related)
- Experience building production grade ML models using one or more Deep Learning frameworks like TensorFlow, Keras, PyTorch, MXNet or ONNX
- Experience with one or more CI/CD, MLOps, DataOps and Orchestration platforms like KubeFlow, Prefect, Apache Airflow, MLFlow, Spark, Luigi, or Argo for end-to-end model building, training, serving and monitoring
- Experience building & deploying ML products over GCP and/or AWS
- Strong functional programming development skills
- Ability to effectively communicate technical information to a wide spectrum of cross-functional team members
- Open source contributions or robust GitHub portfolio
Best Buy Co., Inc. is an American multinational consumer electronics retailer headquartered in Richfield, Minnesota. Originally founded by Richard M. Schulze and James Wheeler in 1966 as an audio specialty store called Sound of Music, it was rebranded under its current name with an emphasis on consumer electronics in 1983.