The Airbus Landing Gear Centre of Engineering is looking for a new team member to join them at their Bristol Office in Filton as a Data Scientist who will provide technical leadership and development of data analytics, data science and Artificial Intelligence applications in a complex physical and functional product environment, and specifically within aircraft landing gears and systems.
The role offers an opportunity to join a dynamic team whose overall focus is on preparing the technologies and products and business models of the future, in addition to incubating and developing opportunities to maximise Airbus revenue from existing and emerging markets in particular in services . The role holder will contribute to the overall mission by ensuring that we embrace , develop and deploy Data Science and Artificial Intelligence approaches across the scope of the mission, whilst also ensuring that new developments in these fields are scouted and embodied into our strategic development programme.
This role offers a challenging and exciting personal environment as well as the opportunity to grow as a core contributor to the digital transformation of Landing Systems Engineering and Airbus. We are embracing the data revolution, and bringing data science to the forefront of what we do. You will bring a passion for both aerospace and modern data analysis to define the aircraft of the future with us.
You will apply your skill set in the context of landing systems development for large commercial aircraft. This is an exciting challenge because it is an incredibly complex area of aerospace engineering which is ripe for digital transformation. You will work within an international environment, interacting with suppliers, customers and colleagues based across the world to achieve the next revolution in aircraft design.
Key Activities within the Role
- Drive the application of modern data science methods to engineering.
- Seek out, clarify and understand business value opportunities where we can transform the current process, products or services.
- Architect and then break down digital solutions into achievable tasks.
- Implement data analytics and data science methods including performing hands-on work to build integrated data sets, analyse data sources (ML/AI), and build compelling interactive visualizations (typically using Python, R, Spark).
- Share our knowledge and best practises, contribute to driving change within the digital network, and present and communicate within the digital community.
- Projects undertaken in this role arise from all phases of the Airbus Product lifecycle including
- Research and Technology : technology identification , acquisition and maturation
- New Product Development : new aircraft programmes and incremental development
- Product Support and Services Development
- We welcome all applicants from varied technical backgrounds and experiences. We value someone who:
- Understands data science analytic techniques (especially neural networks, deep learning) and their application.
- Is inquisitive and resilient to question and challenge the status quo, with an aptitude for complex problem solving and innovation.
- Is passionate about understanding the problem by gaining relevant technical engineering and product knowledge.
- Is open to learning the engineering point of view and are able to coach and mentor traditional mindsets to see the value in a data science approach to problem solving. ?
- Brings authentic leadership, gives energy, sets a vision, and empowers others to achieve.
- Is a team player with a strong customer focus.
- Has excellent communication, presentation skills and fluency in English.
- Has a degree in a relevant discipline, with an eagerness to learn and develop.
- It is highly desirable to have proven experience in:
- Leading and executing data science projects
- Project management experience: deliver a concrete result to a customer
- Understanding, structuring, and integrating data (e.g., fields, data quality, ranges, volume, etc.)
- Inferential statistics / machine learning (e.g. statistical testing, clustering, PCA, SVM, random forests, regression, neural networks)
- Agile tools (e.g. Jira), Dev Ops, Google Workspace.
- Significant working experience one or more of the following languages: Python, R, Java, Matlab, Spark,
- Additional relevant knowledge that may differentiate you:
- Understanding of big data system architectures (e.g., HDFS, Spark)
- Experience working with unstructured data (e.g. text, images, video)
- Working with other digital technologies including cloud, web, IoT and mixed reality.
- Relevant background or experience working in an engineering/aerospace environment.
- ML: Machine Learning IoT: Internet of Things
- AI: Artificial Intelligence PCA: Principal Component Analysis
- HDFS: Hadoop Distributed File System SVM: Support Vector Machine
What Airbus Can Offer You
- A competitive salary with annual profit share
- an ever growing list of company benefits including enhanced pay for maternity, paternity, adoption and shared parental leave
- Very strong, very real career development options across our transnational, market leading company.
- Hybrid working - A working pattern of 2 to 3 days per week in the office and 2 to 3 days remotely
- Flexible hours - 35 per week with no core hours on Friday afternoons!
- At Airbus, we support you to work, connect and collaborate more easily and flexibly. Wherever possible, we foster flexible working arrangements to stimulate innovative thinking.
- Many of our staff work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
Please let us know if you need us to make any reasonable adjustments for the selection process – you can share this with the Recruitment Business Partner who gets in touch if you are invited to interview. Examples of this may include (but is not exclusive to) accessible facilities; auxiliary aids; room layout etc. Any information disclosed will be treated in the strictest confidence.
Airbus SE is a European multinational aerospace corporation. Airbus designs, manufactures and sells civil and military aerospace products worldwide and manufactures aircraft in Europe and various countries outside Europe.
No. of Employees