Albertsons Companies is at the forefront of the revolution in retail. With a fixation on innovation and building culture, our team is rallying our company around a unique vision: forging a retail winner that is admired for national strength, deep roots in the communities we serve, and a team that has passion for food and delivering great service.
Albertsons is one of the largest retail employers, providing approximately 300,000 jobs across 2,200 stores, 22 distribution centers, 20 food and beverage plants and various support offices. We operate in 34 states and the District of Columbia under the Albertsons banner, as well as Safeway, Tom Thumb, Jewel Osco, Shaw’s and many more recognizable names.
What you will be doing
The Enterprise Data & Analytics team at Albertsons inspires to build best in class customer experiences and revolutionize the food and drug retail industry. We are looking for people who are excited in re-imagining the grocery experience by harnessing the power of AI and digital technologies. The Data Engineering team uses a decoupled and near real time data integration paradigm to make data available to improve pricing, promotions management, assortment planning, vendor negotiations, store operations etc. to proactively improve product lifecycle.
You will be responsible for designing, developing, testing and managing large scale, high-performance data processing systems (batch and/or streaming) in a Multi Cloud environment to provide a robust analytical pipeline. The candidate will have a background in computer science or a related technical field with experiences working with high volume, message-based data integration technologies. A successful candidate will be both technically strong and business savvy, with a passion to make an impact through creative storytelling and timely actions. You are a self-starter, smart yet humble, with a bias for action.
- Lead, architect, design and develop secure, scalable, high-performance and reliable and cost effective Big Data platform software and services in a Multi-Cloud environment
- Provide technical leadership in Data Engineering practices. Partner with architecture, Infosec, and development teams across the entire enterprise to establish a strong relationship and trust for prioritizing and delivering projects on time and with a high degree of quality.
- Establish patterns for re-use, standards and best practices for Data Engineering & Analytics such that data timeliness and quality are maximized.
- Partner with the Audit, Compliance and Governance leaders to ensure data is secured and conforms to the guidelines laid out by the organization and the industry.
- Partner with cross-functional teams to deliver large scale strategic projects as well as ongoing operational activities related to Big Data Platform. Interface with cross functional leaders and represent point of views to drive measurable success.
- Drive meetings and lead discussions. Prioritize projects across the team and allocate resources to meet business and team goals.
What we are searching for
- Bachelor’s or Master’s in computer engineering, computer science or related area.
- 4+ years proven experience in developing and deploying data pipelines, preferably in the Cloud; Azure and Snowflake experience is a plus
- 3+ years proven experience in building data warehouse platforms in dealing with star & snowflake schemas as well as slowly changing dimensions.
- 2+ years of strong experience with SQL and stored procedures
- 2+ years of proven expertise in creating pipelines for real time and near real time integration working with different data sources - flat files, XML, JSON, Avro files and databases
- 1+ years of experience with at least one programming language like Python, Java or Scala
- Knowledge on Big Data platforms and applications is a plus.
- Databricks and Delta table knowledge is a plus
- Extensive experience in data transformations for Merchandising business use cases will be a plus
- Knowledge for handling exceptions and automated re-processing and reconciling
- Passion for Data Quality with an ability to integrate these capabilities into the deliverables
- Prior use of Big Data components and the ability to rationalize and align their fit for a business case
- Experience in working with different data sources - flat files, XML, JSON, Avro files and databases
- Proficiency in techniques for slowly changing dimensions
- Knowledge of Jenkins for continuous integration and End-to-End automation for application build and deployments
- Ability to integrate into a project team environment and contribute to project planning activities
- Experience in developing implementation plans and schedules and preparing documentation for the jobs according to the business requirements
- Lead ambiguous and complex situations to clear measurable plans
- Proven experience and ability to work with people across the organization and skilled at managing cross-functional relationships and communicating with leadership across multiple organizations.
- Proven capabilities for strong written and oral communication skill with the ability to synthesize, simplify and explain complex problems to different audiences.
What it is like at Albertsons
Albertsons Culture Principles
- Compassion: We always treat each other with kindness and respect
- Team: We always support and recognize each other
- Inclusive: We always value everyone’s perspective
- Learning: We always strive to grow and develop ourselves and others
- Competitive: We always act with integrity to win over the customer
- Ownership: We always take actions to drive our success
Albertsons Companies, Inc.
Albertsons Companies, Inc. is an American grocery company founded and headquartered in Boise, Idaho.
With 2,253 stores as of the third quarter of fiscal year 2020 and 270,000 employees as of fiscal year 2019, the company is the second-largest supermarket chain in North America after Kroger, which has 2,750 stores. Albertsons ranked 53rd in the 2018 Fortune 500 list of the largest United States corporations by total revenue.