Discord is looking for an experienced, driven, and curious Data Scientist to join the Messaging & Experience team. The Messaging & Experience data science team concentrates on supporting core Discord experiences for both internal teams and Discord users. As a team, we strive to partner closely with our area leads to help drive optimal strategy and decision making. From working on measuring the efficacy of new messaging-related product feature launches, to driving the quantitative success measurement of our very first console integration, we are looking for hungry data scientists to help us build strong foundations and deliver value! We strive to help reenforce and measure Discord core values across areas such as messaging, gaming, and internal operations. Check out our blog about how our team informs strategy & innovation at Discord here!
What you'll be doing
- Partner with engineering, product and operations teams through the full lifecycle of data analytics from ideation and exploratory analysis, to building dashboards and reports
- Define KPIs and diagnostic metrics that help improve the user experience, encapsulating these measures in clean, crisp and performant dashboards that provide the company with timely and actionable information
- Dive deep into our data to understand our users, their patterns of guild/server usage, and the ways they use our platform to communicate with friends
- Use our amazing infrastructure to quickly and easily build custom data sets to monitor novel product features and processes (internal/external)
- Drive strategic thinking in various areas, including a strong focus in understanding the gaming ecosystem and the various ways we can drive value for gamers of all types!
- Proactively socialize insights, dashboards, and reports with technical and non-technical audiences, soliciting feedback on areas to improve
- Be a champion of A/B testing and help groups throughout the company design, analyze, and interpret A/B tests correctly
- Collaborate with data and engineering teams to design scalable and future-proof instrumentation, along with data assets that drive an understanding and measurement of the metric trees in our areas of coverage
You'll Thrive In This Role If (not hard qualifications - if you're not sure, please apply!)
- 4+ years of experience autonomously translating ambiguous business problems into deep informative insights through hands-on analytics
- 4+ years experience writing excellent SQL
- 4+ years of experience building performant dashboards using Tableau, Looker, or a similar software - with proficiency in designing clean crisp visualizations
- 2+ years acting as a strategic thought leader with partner teams, helping define success metrics, set targets, and design proactive analyses that help the team achieve its goals.
- 2+ years of experience in the design, analysis, and interpretation of A/B tests in a large data environment
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to translate complicated findings or technical approaches in easy-to-understand ways
- A desire to work in a fast-paced environment with many unsolved problems!
- Last but not least - a collaborative attitude and a healthy dose of natural curiosity!
- Experience with audio/video related data
- Experience optimizing internal processes
- Interest in the gaming industry
- Experience with writing production ETL
- Experience with technical leadership, being the point person for one or more stakeholder groups
- Experience with statistical analysis using R, Python, or advanced SQL.
- Passion for Discord
New York City residents only: Minimum salary of $175,000 year + equity and benefits
*Note: Disclosure as required by NYC Pay Transparency Law
Colorado residents only: Minimum salary of $14000 year + equity and benefits
*Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20).
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental, and Vision (Plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 19+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO, use-what-you-need sick days and volunteer time off
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Generous stipends for headphones, your remote work setup, and lunch on a daily basis (while we're all remote)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a VoIP, instant messaging and digital distribution platform designed for creating communities. Users communicate with voice calls, video calls, text messaging, media and files in private chats or as part of communities called servers. Servers are a collection of persistent chat rooms and voice chat channels. Discord runs on Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, iPadOS, Linux, and in web browsers. the service has over 140 countries.
Social media Company
No. of Employees
San Francisco, CA, USA