Discord's Machine Learning team is a mix of systems engineers, machine learning engineers and data scientists. Our mission is to use state-of-the-art machine learning techniques to build ML applications across Discord's product surfaces and infrastructure. We use data-driven approaches, closely follow the latest research and apply cutting-edge ML techniques in order to unlock new possibilities within areas such as trust and safety, user engagement, and revenue growth.
We're looking for a highly technical and mission-driven Engineering Manager specializing in Natural Language Processing and/or Image Understanding to improve user and community experiences on Discord. If that sounds exciting to you, read on!
What You'll Be Doing
- Work with product, data science and policy to formulate an ML driven product strategy
- Use your technical expertise to build robust, high-scale machine learning systems that power product features used by millions of users every day
- Build and lead a team of highly-engaged engineers by hiring, coaching, and instilling a sense of ownership and mission
- Mentor and guide the careers of the engineers through coaching and finding opportunities that support their technical skillset and goals
- Work with other Engineering Managers to improve the Engineering organization and uphold our workplace philosophy.
You'll Thrive in This Role If...
- You have 5+ years of experience as a Machine Learning Engineer or Applied Scientist, specializing in Natural Language Processing and/or Image Understanding
- You have 3+ years of experience as a people manager
- You have extensive experience leading complex technical projects with successful outcomes. You can take a high-level goal and achieve a shippable solution
- You've worked with complex distributed machine learning systems deployed at scale and have built end-to-end machine learning solutions
- You have a strong product sense and take pride in understanding your customers
- You have strong communication skills and the ability to work well cross-functionally
- You are motivated to help your team members succeed and have experience developing engineers of multiple levels.
- You keep up with the industry trends and identify new techniques to solve technical problems
- Experience with the unique challenges of working in a fast-moving start-up environment
- Experience building and deploying Machine Learning systems in a cloud computing environment (Google Cloud, AWS, etc. and Kubernetes/Docker)
- Experience with modern data processing stacks
New York City residents only: Minimum salary of $214,000/year + equity and benefits
*Note: Disclosure as required by NYC Pay Transparency Law
Colorado residents only: Minimum salary of $171,200/year + equity and benefits
*Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20).
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a VoIP, instant messaging and digital distribution platform designed for creating communities. Users communicate with voice calls, video calls, text messaging, media and files in private chats or as part of communities called servers. Servers are a collection of persistent chat rooms and voice chat channels. Discord runs on Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, iPadOS, Linux, and in web browsers. the service has over 140 countries.
Social media Company
No. of Employees
San Francisco, CA, USA