Senior Data Scientist - Researcher - 87018
Data Science - USA Oldsmar, Florida
What is the role?
Data Science is core to what Nielsen does, and our research projects have high visibility in directly affecting the results of our business and our clients. This Senior Data Scientist role in the Digital & Advanced TV team provides an opportunity to contribute to methodological innovation and pipeline development in the exciting and fast-changing world of media measurement. This is an ideal position to grow as a researcher, contribute to innovative products, and develop subject-matter expertise in digital methodology and cross-platform audience measurement.
What will I do?
- Develop new methodologies to estimate cross-platform audience on digital devices and platforms, leveraging machine learning to combine different types of data from multiple sources
- Evaluate quality and accuracy of estimates derived from these models
- Develop processes to implement, maintain, and enhance these methodologies in client-facing products
- Act as a liaison and subject matter expert with key internal stakeholders (e.g. application development, engineering, client business partners)
- Stay up to date on industry changes to digital measurement (e.g. new devices and platforms, privacy law updates, changes in browser/app measurement, etc.) and critically assess how it would impact Nielsen measurement
- Stay informed of new research and developments in the field, as well as participate in internal and external knowledge exchanges (conferences, workshops, webinars)
Is this for me?
- This position requires a detail-oriented person who has experience in big data analysis using multiple data sources and statistical research, and who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment.
- The ideal candidate will have experience with short-term analyses / prototyping, as well as writing scalable code that can be deployed in production as part of broader data pipelines
- Graduate degree in statistics, mathematics, economics, operations research, quantitative social sciences (e.g. psychology, sociology, etc.) or hard sciences (e.g. engineering, computer science, etc. ) and 1+ year of relevant experience OR undergraduate degree and 3+ years of work experience with outstanding analytical expertise and strong technical leadership
- Proficiency in Python and SQL
- Experience with core Data Science tech stack (pandas, pyspark, scikit learn)
- Experience with many of the following: statistical estimation, classification, regression, and machine learning techniques (including Generalized Linear Models, Decision Trees, Neural Networks, Variational Inference), as well as sampling and weighting techniques
- Leading and managing complex projects with multiple stakeholders
- Excellent communication & presentation skills (written and verbal)
- Industry knowledge of digital audience / media measurement
- Experience working independently and as part of cross-functional teams
- Experience utilizing specialized Deep Learning and/or Bayesian modeling frameworks (e.g. TensorFlow, Pyro, etc)
- Experience wrangling, analyzing, and correcting very large datasets using statistical models
- Experience working with big data in cloud environments (e.g. AWS, Databricks)
- Experience with source control using git and CI/CD workflows
- Experience with data visualization tools (e.g. Matplotlib, ggplot, plotly, Tableau)
Who am I working with?
The Digital & Advanced TV team within the Data Science Global Media organization focuses on improving and enhancing Nielsen’s highly successful products in the marketplace for digital & TV advertising and content measurement. As part of this exciting team, this position will lead the development and implementation of new methodologies to accurately estimate audience duplication across multiple screens (e.g. TV, PC, mobile, OTT), enhancing Nielsen's cross-media measurement capabilities.
Why do I want to work here?
As the arbiter of truth, Nielsen Global Media fuels the media industry with unbiased, reliable data about what people watch and listen to. To discover what’s true, we measure across all channels and platforms?—from podcasts to streaming TV to social media. And when companies and advertisers are armed with the truth, they have a deeper understanding of their audiences and can accelerate growth.
The Nielsen Corporation, self-referentially known as The Nielsen Company, and formerly known as ACNielsen or AC Nielsen, is a global marketing research firm, with worldwide headquarters in New York City, United States. Regional headquarters for North America are located in Chicago.