We are seeking a passionate data engineering director who wants to create the next generation of enterprise data solutions across NBCUniversal. If you’re a strong technical leader who loves to architect and build modern data systems at scale, this role is for you.
As the Director of Data Engineering, you’ll be leading a team of engineers, collaborating with internal stakeholders, product managers, and other engineering squads to drive our mission of scaling enterprise data assets that are reusable, extensible, and that produce the most monetizable value for our company.
We take pride in enabling our leaders and decision makers with data to advise and shape NBCUniversal’s content, products, and experiences. Part of our global Operations & Technology organization, the Data & Analytics Engineering team is focused on creating enterprise data platforms, pipelines, and analytic solutions across our television, direct-to-consumer, film, and parks businesses.
What you’ll do:
- Plan and execute data engineering programs, formulate data and analytics strategies for solving business problems, and develop capabilities to scale the impact of data through the development of self-service analytics and insights programs
- Architect and build data solutions across multiple domains, 30+ applications supporting the entire content lifecycle including production, distribution, and rights management
- Partner with business, product, and engineering teams, to deliver data and analytics solutions that advance our mission to be a data-driven company transforming the industry
- Implement technical, operational and business processes to achieve 99.99% data reliability and availability
- Grow the technical expertise of the team - build and lead a team of engineers through hiring, coaching, mentoring, feedback, and hands-on career development
- Investigate new and developing technologies as they appear in industry and academia and determine how to leverage these new technologies into our data solutions
- 10+ years of experience architecting and building data solutions at scale
- 5+ years relevant experience in delivering data platforms, data governance at an enterprise level and leading a data management and platform engineering team
- Hands-on production workload experience managing cloud data platforms at scale (Snowflake, AWS Redshift, GCP Big Query and/or Azure Synapse)
- Experience building production data pipelines, ideally using one or more frameworks such as Spark, Hive/Hadoop, or Flink
- Expertise in data modeling and establishing data architecture across multiple systems
- Proficiency in Python, or willingness to grow into Python from your other scripting languages (i.e., Java, Scala)
- Working experience with data integration technologies (AWS Glue, Dell Boomi, Informatica) and analytics tools (Tableau, Power BI, Looker)
- Knowledge of data federation technologies (Dremio, Presto) working understanding of data models and how they impact performance
- Passion for learning, solving problems, and creating clarity out of ambiguity
- Proven track record of managing multi-million dollar budgets across a diverse portfolio ensuring financial targets are met and tied to prioritized delivery of business value. This includes employee C&B, consultant,s, and software/cloud spend across several projects and products with demands from multiple stakeholders.
- Must be able to recruit, manage and develop talent - always sharing knowledge, providing feedback, challenging your teams, and reaching quick and equitable solutions
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, related field or equivalent experience
- Collaboration is key. We are a team of selfless data nerds who want to solve problems and enable transformation through faster insights and analytics. We believe that we will build better solutions by working together.
- We are passionate about our products. Media experience helps but if you enjoy a good movie, binge-watching,g or a roller coaster, that’s a start.
- Translate from technical to business, and vice versa. You need to be able to speak with the least technically-minded user (internal or external) and make technology make sense to them. Then turn around and do it the other way.
NBCUniversal Media, LLC is an American mass media and entertainment conglomerate owned by Comcast and headquartered at 30 Rockefeller Plaza in Midtown Manhattan, New York City. NBCUniversal is primarily involved in the media and entertainment industry.