The Data & Analytics team (D&A) at NBCUniversal is looking for a passionate problem solver who’s looking to build the next generation of data pipelines and applications. Working across one or more of our main subject areas – research, marketing, engineering frameworks – the Data Engineer role is right for you if you’re a “hands-on” coder who can build and cleanse large datasets in order to report out actionable insights.
As part of the global Operations & Technology organization, the D&A is focused on data and analytics strategies for the future. We support NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands - from broadcast, cable, news, and sports networks to film studios, world-renowned theme parks, and a diverse suite of digital properties. We take pride in supplying our business groups with data to advise and shape strategic business decisions related to our content.
In the Data Engineer role, you’ll be working with internal stakeholders, data engineers, visualization experts, data scientists, and other technologists across the business. If you’re someone who loves to take large, disparate data sets and build them into flexible and scalable analytics applications and databases, you’ve come to the right place. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
- Collaborate with business leaders, engineers, and product managers to understand data needs.
- Interface with other technology teams to extract, transform, and load data from a wide variety of data sources using cloud-native data engineering principles
- Design, build, and scale data pipelines across a variety of source systems and streams (internal, third-party, as well as cloud-based), distributed/elastic environments, and downstream applications and/or self-service solutions
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Implement the appropriate design patterns while optimizing performance, cost, security, and scale and end user experience
- Participate in development sprints, demos, and retrospectives, as well as release and deployment
- Build and manage relationships with supporting IT teams in order to effectively deliver work products to production
- 5+ years of experience in a data engineering role
- Direct experience with data modeling, ETL/ELT development principles, and data warehousing concepts
- Knowledge of data management fundamentals and data storage principles
- Experience in building data pipelines using Python/SQL or similar programming languages
- Demonstratable experience in Airflow, Luigi or similar orchestration engines
- General understanding of cloud data engineering design patterns and use cases
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Statistics, Informatics, Information Systems or related field.
- Analytical – You have experience in delivering data analytics solutions that promote data discovery
- Experience with Snowflake, Amazon Web Services, or related cloud platforms a plus
- Understanding of big data technology stacks (Hive / Spark etc) is a plus
- Media-focused – Strong knowledge/passion for media including broadcast TV, digital, and film
- Direct experience working with sources like Nielsen, Adobe Analytics, comScore, and other media/entertainment industry datasets a plus
- Communicator – You have excellent verbal and written skills with the ability to communicate ideas effectively across all levels of the organization, both technical and non-technical
- Action-oriented – You're constantly figuring out new problems and are regularly showing results with a positive attitude, always displaying ethical behavior, integrity, and building trust
- Strong understanding of Agile principles and best practices
- You’ve dealt with ambiguity and can make quality decisions in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
NBCUniversal Media, LLC is an American mass media and entertainment conglomerate owned by Comcast and headquartered at 30 Rockefeller Plaza in Midtown Manhattan, New York City. NBCUniversal is primarily involved in the media and entertainment industry.