The Backend Software Engineer provides technical design, development, and deployment of Caterpillar’s state-of-the-art digital platform. This position will help build the Cat App, Caterpillar’s customer facing mobile telematics solution. Customers use the Cat App to track the location and health of equipment, order service and parts, and activate telematics devices directly from their mobile device. We are looking for backend software engineers who are results-oriented and can work independently or in a team environment to get the job done!
- As a Backend Software Engineer you will contribute to design, development, and deployment of the Cat App.
- Competent to perform all programming and development assignments without close supervision
- Works directly on complex application/technical problem identification and resolution
- Works independently on complex systems or infrastructure components that may be used by one or more applications or systems
- Drives application development focused around delivering business valuable features
- Maintains high standards of software quality within the team by establishing good practices and habits
- Identifies and encourage areas for growth and improvement within the team
- Communicate with end users and internal customers to help direct development, debugging, and testing of application software for accuracy, integrity, interoperability, and completeness
- Performs integrated testing and customer acceptance testing of components that requires careful planning and execution to ensure timely, quality results
- Typical customers include Caterpillar customers, dealers, other external companies who purchase services offered by Caterpillar as well as internal business unit and/or service center groups. The position is challenged to quickly and correctly identify problems that may not be obvious. The incumbent solves problems by determining the best course of action, within departmental guidelines, from many existing solutions. The incumbent sets priorities and establishes a work plan in order to complete broadly defined assignments and achieve desired results. The position participates in brainstorming sessions focused on developing new approaches to meeting quality goals in the measure(s) stated.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer science or Electrical engineering or related field from an accredited college or university.
- 4+ years of software development experience
- 3+ years designing and developing software applications in Python. Ruby is a plus
- Datastores such as PostgreSQL, Redis, Mysql
- Must demonstrate solid knowledge of computer science fundamentals like data structures and algorithms and object-oriented design
Top candidates will also have:
- Designing, developing, deploying, and maintaining software at scale, with good understanding of concurrency
- AWS familiarity / at least three plus years of deploying and maintaining software using public clouds such as AWS or Azure
- Developing software applications using relational and NoSQL databases
- Application architectural patterns, such as MVC, Microservices, Event-driven, etc
- Deploying software using CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, GoCD, Azure Devops, Confluence, etc
- Working within an Agile framework (ideally Scrum)
- Experience designing well-defined Restful APIs
- Experience writing API proxies on platforms such as Apigee Edge, AWS API Gateway or Azure API Manager
- Hands one experience with API tools such as Swagger, Postman
- Test driven development and behavior driven development
- Hands on experience with testing tools and integration into CI/CD pipelines
- Experience using mocking frameworks and unit test frameworks
- Expertise writing and debugging multi-threaded applications
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to work under pressure and within time constraints
- Passion for technology and an eagerness to contribute to a team-oriented environment
- Demonstrated leadership on medium to large-scale projects impacting strategic priorities
- Minimum salary for this role in the state of Colorado is $125k.
- Medical, dental and vision coverage
- Paid time off plan (Vacation, Holiday, Volunteer, Etc.)
- 401k savings plan
- Health savings account (HSA)
- Flexible spending accounts (FSAs)
- Short and long-term disability coverage
- Life Insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Healthy Lifestyle Programs
- Employee Assistance Programs
- Voluntary Benefits (Ex. Identity Theft Protection)
- Visa sponsorship available for eligible applicants.
Caterpillar Inc. is an American Fortune 100 corporation that designs, develops, engineers, manufactures, markets, and sells machinery, engines, financial products, and insurance to customers via a worldwide dealer network. It is the world's largest construction-equipment manufacturer.