Python Programming, Scala Programming, C++, Java Programming, Machine learning techniques, Data science techniques, SQL, Apache Hadoop, MapReduce, TensorFlow, PyTorch, R Programming
We are currently seeking a full-time Bioinformaticist I with experience in the analysis and reduction of proteomic, metabolomic, and metagenomic data sets. This full-time position is located in Columbus, Ohio. Some domestic and international travel is anticipated.
Technical leadership and support of laboratory and field studies in the analysis of proteomic, metabolomic, (meta)transcriptomic, and (meta)genomic data sets.
- Designing, planning, and leading experiments within time and budget constraints of small teams of scientists and technical support staff involving:
- i) examining the impact of environmental pollutants and conditions on biodegradation of various materials;
- ii) analysis of (meta)genomic, (meta)transcriptomic, (meta)proteomic, amplicon library, and metabolomic data;
- iii) ability to detect and characterize metabolic pathways with KEGG, SEED, BioCyc, or equivalent functional annotation system
- Presenting and reporting technical progress and results
- Assisting in preparing scientific journal publications and presenting at professional meetings
- Assisting in the development of proposals, marketing plans and identifying business opportunities
Additionally, the selected candidate will be expected to guide and train other technical staff, as well as to perform certain administrative functions, as necessary, to ensure smooth functioning of experiments and timely distribution of program deliverables. Domestic and potential international travel is anticipated.
THE FOLLOWING IS REQUIRED
- MS (or BS and 5 years’ experience) in bioinformatics, microbiology, or related biological sciences with a focus on bioinformatics practice
- Experience/proven ability to script and code using R, Python, and/or Bash/Unix shell
- Experience installing, maintaining, and operating open-source bioinformatics software
- Experience/proven ability to utilize functional annotation systems for metabolic pathway discovery and characterization
- Familiarity with genomic resource databases (e.g., RefSeq, UniProt, Ensembl, GenBank, Integrated Microbial Genomes, or UCSC Genome Browser)
- U.S. citizenship, with the ability to obtain and maintain required government security clearances as a condition of employment
- Sufficiently medically fit to work in the laboratory and in the field to perform assigned duties
- The ability to work in a team environment
- Demonstrated ability to independently solve problems and rapidly on-board new analysis pipelines
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED
- Experience working within laboratory quality management systems (e.g., ISO 9001, ISO17025, GLP)
- Experience/proven ability to use short read classification systems such as MG-RAST
- Experience with R data science packages such as tidyverse and ggplot2 or their Python equivalents (pandas, matplotlib, etc.)
- Experience with (meta)genome assembly and annotation
- Experience with tools for analysis of molecular phylogeny
Battelle Memorial Institute (more widely known as simply Battelle) is a private nonprofit applied science and technology development company headquartered in Columbus, Ohio. Battelle is a charitable trust organized as a nonprofit corporation under the laws of the State of Ohio and is exempt from taxation under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code because it is organized for charitable, scientific and education purposes. The institute op
No. of Employees
Columbus, Ohio, USA
Get Similar Jobs In Your Inbox
Battelle is currently hiring Bioinformatician Jobs in Columbus, OH, USA with average base salary of $120,000 - $190,000 / Year.