For more than a century, the people of Archer Daniels Midland Company (NYSE: ADM) have transformed crops into products that serve the vital needs of a growing world. Today, we’re one of the world’s largest agricultural processors and food ingredient providers, with approximately 31,000 employees serving customers in more than 170 countries. With a global value chain that includes approximately 500 crop procurement locations, 270 ingredient manufacturing facilities, 44 innovation centers and the world’s premier crop transportation network, we connect the harvest to the home, making products for food, animal feed, industrial and energy uses. Learn more at www.adm.com.
The Senior Data Engineer will work on designing, building, and implementing data foundations to support strategic advanced analytics projects that drive strategic growth for ADM (go-to-market strategies, pricing intelligence, economic and trade data modeling, and many others). This involves liaising with business teams that build or acquire the underlying data, application owners to understand raw or source data structures, and data scientists and end users to accurately architect strategic data marts. Finally, architecting and building the data pipelines, constructing and modifying data marts, preparing (cleaning, transforming) data, and collaborating with digital and analytics team members to design impactful business solutions. The Senior Data Engineer should be able to coach and lead other junior team members as well as drive critical solutions independently.
Additional responsibilities of this role will include the following:
- Developing prototypes and proof of concepts for the selected solutions
- Determining the right tool for the job (Python, Azure/AWS tools, Power BI, Tableau, JMP Pro etc.)
- Understanding and navigating a wide array of source data systems (enterprise data warehouses, relational databases, IT systems, in house and COTS applications, documents, APIs, unstructured data, big data, NoSQL databases, etc.)
- Mapping data ecosystems and creating data model diagrams
- Extending traditional ETL solutions (Informatica, Alteryx, SQL, etc.)
- Establishing and maintaining information security standards
- Creating custom queries, scripts, and job runs for ad hoc data processing and/or data investigation
- Analyzing data and developing insights (e.g., via data visualization tools like Excel/Power BI/Tableau or statistics packages like SAS/SPSS/R)
Essential job functions:
- Work simultaneously on multiple projects without sacrificing delivery
- Work with data warehouse and data integration teams to ensure successful delivery of enterprise data warehouse solutions
- Have natural curiosity and real passion for data investigation, talent for strategic leadership, interest in digital product development, and experience in people management.
- Lead development of strategy in an environment rich in complex biological, environmental, operational, global economic, and business data.
- Establish and manage collaborations engaging business units to develop novel data analytic approaches and coordinated decision science solutions.
- Prepare and present ideas and recommendations to colleagues and management
- Document solutions through high/low level design documentation
- Learn new groundbreaking data engineering and analytic tools as needed
Job Description (Con't)
- 5+ years of hands-on experience crafting and implementing solutions
- Experience delivering Cloud based Data Solutions in Azure
- Experience working with Big Data technologies (Spark, Kafka, DataBricks, Hive, or equivalent)
- Extensive knowledge in programming or scripting languages like Java, Scala, Python and/or R.
- Experience in delivering solutions using iterative development methodologies like Agile, KanBan, DevOps, etc.
- Working knowledge of BI architecture, data warehousing concepts, and data integration standard methodologies
- Deep understanding and experience of ODI and Oracle BI Enterprise Edition with solid grasp in related ERP data model and data architectures (JD Edwards preferred)
- Experience with metadata management discipline and practices
- High accountability with a demonstrated ability to deliver
- Strong written communication skills including functional design documentation
- Strong collaboration skills working with design and development teams
- Motivated, demonstrates initiative and leadership
- Able to critically think and be solution-driven with strong interpersonal skills and able to work easily with client personnel
- Great organizational, time management and problem-solving skills
- Possesses a professional attitude
- 4-year Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in IT, Computer Science, science, engineering, statistics, programming or mathematical field
- Advanced degree (masters or PhD) or equivalent analytics / data engineering experience.
Archer Daniels Midland - ADM
At ADM, we unlock the power of nature to provide access to nutrition worldwide. With industry-advancing innovations, a complete portfolio of ingredients and solutions to meet any taste, and a commitment to sustainability, we give customers an edge in solving the nutritional challenges of today and tomorrow. We’re a global leader in human and animal nutrition and the world’s premier agricultural origination and processing company. Our breadth, dep