The future will be made from metal. From global infrastructure projects to smart energy initiatives, metal is the essential material for building a more sustainable society. Joseph T. Ryerson & Son, Inc., a leader in the global metals supply chain for 200 years, is at the center of it all, helping close the gap between metal producers’ supply and end-users demand.
Here is your chance to help tell the next chapter in our story. We are currently seeking a bright, energetic individual to fill our IT Analytics internship position and to contribute as an essential member within the team based in Lisle, IL. The successful candidate will be responsible for assigned projects that are designed to offer exposure and experience in a wide array of functional business areas including basic and applied research.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Work with multiple large, complex data sets to create new information repositories that will serve as the foundation for advanced analytic models to uncover new valuable business insights.
- Uncover trends, patterns, correlations, and other relationships in data and deliver actionable business insights from this information by creating algorithms and advanced analytic models using statistical, data mining and / or machine learning tools and techniques.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to tune models, interpret results and create presentation materials suitable for decision support at senior and executive management levels.
- At the end of the internship, it is anticipated that the intern will have:
- Created working algorithms and models applying analytic techniques learned in the classroom to real-world business cases showing quantifiable value.
- Developed working knowledge of how a Business Intelligence and Analytics department operates within a mid-sized public company.
- Understood relationships between different data sets and how to use them in the correct business context to solve complex business problems.
- Learned how to gather and meet business requirements, translate into data and model requirements, test and validate newly created or enhanced data and models, quantify business value and summarize recommendations to an executive audience.
- College degree and successful progress toward a masters degree in a quantitative major such as business analytics, applied mathematics, statistics, decision science, supply chain, etc.
- High analytic aptitude and ability to collect, organize, conceptualize and think logically about the relationships between complex data sets and business cases
- Experience establishing a big data analytics environment in the cloud (preferably Azure), use of big data / Hadoop tool set and multiple common programming languages: Python, R, SQL
- Applied experience with machine learning on large datasets
- Experience translating analysis results into business recommendations
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to investigate and learn new techniques and share knowledge with others
- Passion for solving complex problems, optimizing networks and driving efficiency
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, and pregnancy), age, national origin, religion, disability or genetic information, marital status, status as a veteran, or any other federal, state or local protected class or artificial barrier.
Ryerson Holding Corporation
Ryerson Holding Corporation is a metals distributor and processor headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, United States.