FM Global is a leading property insurer of the world's largest businesses, providing more than one-third of FORTUNE 1000-size companies with engineering-based risk management and property insurance solutions. FM Global helps clients maintain continuity in their business operations by drawing upon state-of-the-art loss-prevention engineering and research; risk management skills and support services; tailored risk transfer capabilities; and superior financial strength. To do so, we rely on a dynamic, culturally diverse group of employees, working in more than 100 countries, in a variety of challenging roles.
- The Data Engineer III is responsible for analysis, data modeling, data collection, data integration, and preparation of data for consumption. This role is also responsible for creating and managing data infrastructure, data pipeline design, implementation and data verification.
- Along with the team, the Data Engineer III is responsible for ensuring the highest standards of data quality, security and compliance. Additionally, the Data Engineer III will implement methods to improve data reliability and quality, combine raw information from different sources to create consistent data sets. This position will be essential to moving the Enterprise Analytics SQL database (EA) to Azure Synapse Analytics in the coming year.
- The Data Engineer III is the third level position in the Data Engineer job family. Those holding this position are typically assigned to work on integrated project teams for medium to large projects and be the lead for small to medium projects. The Data Engineer III must also be able to work independently.
- Possess and continually grow knowledge of structured and unstructured data sources within each product journey (Underwriting and Risk; Client Service, Sales and Marketing; Claims; Account and Location Engineering) as well as emerging data sources (purchased data sets; external data; etc.).
- Partner with Product Owners, developers, Solution Architects, Enterprise Architects, Business Analysts, Data Engineers, Data Analysts, Data Scientists, and others to understand data and reporting needs.
- Develop solutions using data modeling techniques and using technologies such as Azure Synapse Analytics, SQL Server database; SSIS; C#, Power BI Premium, SQL Server & Analysis Services, and others as required.
- Validate solutions are accurate through detailed and disciplined testing methodologies.
- Ensure tables and views are designed for data integrity, efficiency and performance, and are easy to comprehend.
Move and Store Data
- Design and maintenance of data flow, infrastructure pipelines, ETL/ELT, structured and unstructured data movement and storage solutions
- Design data models and data flows into and out of Data Analytics databases
- Understand and design data relationships between business and data subject areas
- Follow standards for naming conventions, code documentation and code review.
- Support Data Exploration and Transformation Needs
- Conduct data cleansing and support other team members with data cleansing tasks if needed
- Conduct data profiling to identify data anomalies and resolve issues
Complete data preparation tasks
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements such as but not limited to automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, redesigning infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using Azure and SQL.
- Support users and production jobs
- Manage and address operational data issues by establishing workarounds and/or bringing in multi-functional teams to solve the issues in a timely manner
- Support developers, data analysts and data scientists who need to work with data in the appropriate data base(s)
- Analyze and assess reported data quality issues, conduct root cause analysis
- Consult dba(s) and other technology infrastructure team members on configuration and maintenance of platform
- Monitor system performance and look for opportunities for optimization
- Monitor data storage capacity
- Address production issues quickly, with appropriate validation and deployment steps
- Provide concise and professional communication to users, management and teammates
- Participate in effective execution of team priorities
- Able to solve complex problems with on-time delivery
- Identify work tasks and capture them in the team backlog
- Organize known tasks, prioritize work as needed
- Able to resolve colliding priorities and advances as needed
Provides production support
- Network with product teams to keep abreast of database changes as well as business process changes which result in data interpretation changes
- Familiarity with 3rd Normal Form and Dimensional (Inmon/Kimball) database theory
- Prefer 4 year/Bachelor’s Degree or Master's Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Computer Engineering, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years relatable work experience
- ETL/ELT design required
- DAX coding language required
- Power BI Premium required, SSAS considered
- Design/build/maintain data warehouse database(s) for analytical use
- Skilled with database clustering
- Familiarity with Azure cloud applications
- Familiarity with SQL database and massively parallel processing (mpp) platforms
The hiring range for this position dependent on final grade and title is $97,500 to $140,000 USD. The final salary offer will vary based on geographic location, individual education, skills, and experience. The position is eligible to participate in FM Global’s comprehensive Total Rewards program that includes an incentive plan, generous health and well-being programs, a 401(k) and pension plan, career development opportunities, tuition reimbursement, flexible work, time off allowances and much more.
FM Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse workforce.
Please note that full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with FM Global in the U.S. and a condition of FM Global office entry in Canada. Further, all FM Global visitors, including external candidates interviewing onsite for open positions, are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and show proof of vaccination.
FM Global is an American mutual insurance company based in Johnston, Rhode Island, United States, with offices worldwide, that specializes in loss prevention services primarily to large corporations throughout the world in the Highly Protected Risk (HPR) property insurance market sector. FM Global has been named the Best Property Insurer in the World by Euromoney Magazine.
No. of Employees
Johnston, RI, USA