Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you’ll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We’re big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits, not to mention a Flex Work approach that is truly flexible to support where, when, and how you do your best work.
What you’ll do
Sight and Sound play a large role in our day-to-day experiences. We believe data can play a huge role in making the experiences personalized and resilient. Data can also a big role in synthesizing experiences that otherwise could only be imagined
We’re looking for a Data Science and Distributed Systems leader who is excited to advance the state of the art in technologies of interest to Dolby as well as the human society at large. Reporting directly to the head of ATG, you will lead a team of researchers driving data platform and data driven algorithms for ATG.
The initiatives will include both short-term and long-term research in areas such as artificial intelligence, machine learning & data mining, natural language processing, big data systems, information and data visualization, and social & cognitive science.
- Lead multiple research initiatives for ATG related to Data platform, visualization, collaborative, and immersive experiences in areas of social media, enterprise interactions, cinema, television, mobile interactions, and video games
- Develop long-term and short-term vision for the research initiatives and influence the global research leadership
- Partner with ATG leadership in attracting, mentoring, and nurturing research talent in wide variety of areas
- Initiate new research projects:
By nurturing and influencing the bottom-up ideas of the researchers
By developing new personal areas of interest aligned with ATG goals
- Participate with global leadership of ATG in developing key priorities and overall global research portfolio
- Participate in promotions and career development process at the global ATG leadership level
- Leverage various state-of-the-art tools and technologies afforded by computer science, including Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Digital Signal Processing, and Algorithms to best shape the experiences.
- Assist and mentor ATG Research Managers in developing the research vision and goals and objectives for the upcoming year
- Provide thought leadership both internally (within Dolby) and externally (in academia and industry).
What you need to succeed
- Invent & Innovate: Develop short and long-term technologies, algorithms and software tools that will help make Dolby a world leader in enhancing the sight and sound associated with digital content consumption. Then influence and collaborate with BG partners put the technology into production.
- Work with a sense of Urgency: Responds aggressively to changing trends and new technologies, and creates new algorithms to capitalize on them. Takes appropriate risks to be ahead of the competition and the market.
- Become a thought leader: Become the go-to person within ATG and across all engineering communities of Dolby’s business groups. Develop deep expertise in areas to influence Dolby’s direction and ATG colleagues
- Collaborate: Collaborate with and influence peers in developing industry-leading technologies. Work with external trendsetters and technology drivers in the academia and in partner enterprises.
- Visionary: Envisions short- and long-term opportunities. Responds aggressively to changing trends and new technologies and create plans to capitalize on them. Takes appropriate business risks. Makes intelligent decisions that balance a variety of factors (costs, competitive threats, etc.).
- Thought Leader: Is seen as an expert across the organization and throughout the industry. Promotes new ways of thinking. Highly influential. Is well-received and respected by executives, direct teams, cross-functional groups, customers, and partners.
- Nurturer/Mentor: Builds great teams around a focused mission. Translates overarching business goals into specific objectives for each member of the team. Able to collaborate, mobilize and engage multiple stakeholder groups at different levels
- Demonstrated ability to take bold initiatives and the ability to solve hard problems, prioritize work, and make decisions
- Strong analytical, mathematical modeling, optimization, and software skills and ability to work with multiple levels of abstractions
- Excellent interpersonal & communication skills, including scientific writing, presenting, and formal briefings
- Experience in a research leadership role with team HR-management responsibilities in an industrial research lab.
- Minimum 10+ years of experience.
- Ph.D., Computer Science, or related areas Record of working with and influencing both technology and business leaders.
- Should have a strong publication record in top computer science-related conferences and/or journals
- Strong publication record in top-tier conferences in one or multiple of the following areas:
- Distributed Database systems
- Data Architecture and storage Efficiency
- Very large data management
- Natural Language Processing
- Computer Vision
- Decision Support Systems
- Machine Learning and AI
- Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery
- Information Retrieval and Visualization
- Distributed Systems
The Atlanta area base salary range for this full-time position is $215,900 - $268,100 plus bonus, equity, and benefits, and can vary if outside of this location. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, competencies, experience, market demands, internal parity, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range and perks and benefits for your location during the hiring process.
Dolby Laboratories, Inc. is an American company specializing in audio noise reduction, audio encoding/compression, spatial audio, and HDR imaging. Dolby licenses its technologies to consumer electronics manufacturers.