Leidos’s Military and Veterans Health Solutions is currently seeking a Research Data Scientist to support the Warfighter Performance Department at the Naval Health Research Center, in San Diego, CA. The candidate will assist a research program focused on the implementation of technology systems to monitor threats to human performance, health, and safety due to sleep, fatigue, illness, and other contributing factors.
The candidate will develop creative solutions to address data analytics challenges, collect large volumes of data from varying sources, clean and interpret data, create solutions to overcome challenges, and communicate with various internal and military stakeholders. The Research Data Scientist will be responsible for the design and development of methods, process, and systems to consolidate and analyze structured and unstructured diverse and/or large data sets from disparate sources. Develops and uses advance statistical concepts, algorithms, querying and automated processes to clean, model, integrate and evaluate complex datasets and research questions for practical application. A strong candidate is familiar with principles of related disciplines like Natural Language Processing, Machine Learning, Predictive modeling, Statistical Analysis, and Hypothesis testing. The Research Data Scientist will develop information tools, procedures, dashboards, and queries to monitor and improve business and research mission performance.
Job duties may include but are not limited to:
- Undertake preprocessing of structured and unstructured data.
- Process, clean, and verify the integrity of data used for analysis.
- Perform statistical analyses including multiple regression, factor analysis, and predictive modeling.
- Develop visualizations and dashboards to present data in a clear manner.
- Assess the effectiveness and accuracy of new data sources and data gathering techniques; automate data collection processes.
- Develop custom data models and procedures to apply to data sets.
- Develop processes and tools to monitor and analyze model performance and data accuracy.
- Coordinate with different functional teams to implement models and monitor outcomes.
- Prepare periodic internal reports and status updates. Effectively communicate results of projects to military and academic collaborators.
- Develop and maintain collaborations with other scientists, military personnel, and research institutions.
- Abide by human research protections regulations.
- Attend and present at meetings, conferences, and symposia with government sponsors, military stakeholders, and other academic, military, and private collaborators for purposes of advancing the research programs and presenting results.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as required for the customer research mission.
- Effectively and efficiently respond to urgent inquiries and requests.
- Work overnights, on weekends, and holidays as needed for research project execution.
- Travel domestically and internationally as required for project, program, and contract needs.
- Model Leidos Mission, Vision, and Values at all times.
- Masters or PhD in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science or another quantitative field with 3-6 years of experience manipulating data sets and building statistical models.
- Experience working with and creating data architectures.
- Experience using statistical computer languages (R, Python, SLQ, etc.) to manipulate data and draw insights from large data sets.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in processing research data.
- Ability to interact positively and in a professional manner within a research environment.
- Proven ability to read, comprehend, and discuss research materials.
- Excellent critical thinking with problem-solving skills and an ability to work cooperatively in a team setting. Flexibility in responding to changing demands, timelines, and priorities.
- US Citizenship required. Must be able to obtain and maintain a SECRET government security clearance.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of statistical programming languages like R, Python, and database query languages like SQL, is desirable.
- Good applied statistical skills, including knowledge of statistical tests, analysis of variance/covariance, exploratory and general linear modeling, distributions, regression, maximum likelihood estimators, etc. is essential.
- Some knowledge of machine learning is desirable.
- Strong understanding of the fundamentals of Multivariable Calculus and Linear Algebra is important as they form the basis of a lot of predictive performance or algorithm optimization techniques.
- Data Wrangling or proficiency in handling imperfections in data is essential.
- Experience with Data Visualization Tools like matplotlib, ggplot, d3.js., Tableau for visually encoding data.
- Problem solving aptitude and excellent communication skills.
- Ability to be a self-starter, act on objectives in an independent manner, demonstrate leadership, work independently in a team, and the ability to plan and prioritize work.
- Research experience with military personnel.
Naval Health West - NHW
Pay Range $78,000.00 - $120,000.00 - $162,000.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos, formerly known as Science Applications International Corporation, is an American defense, aviation, information technology, and biomedical research company headquartered in Reston, Virginia, that provides scientific, engineering, systems integration, and technical services.