Data Scientist Intern (BRIC) - New York
- TikTok is the leading destination for short-form mobile video. Our mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy. TikTok has global offices including Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Dubai, Singapore, Jakarta, Seoul and Tokyo.
- We are looking for talented individuals to join us for an internship. Internships at TikTok aim to offer students industry exposure and hands-on experience. Watch your ambitions become reality as your inspiration brings infinite opportunities at TikTok
- Successful candidates must be able to commit to the Summer Internship - May to July (12 weeks) period.
- We will prioritize candidates who are able to commit to the Summer Internship period. Please state your availability clearly in your resume (Start date, End date).
- Candidates can apply to a maximum of two positions and will be considered for jobs in the order you apply. The application limit is applicable to TikTok and its affiliates' jobs globally Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and we encourage you to apply early.
Why Join Us
- At TikTok, our people are humble, intelligent, compassionate and creative. We create to inspire - for you, for us, and for more than 1 billion users on our platform. We lead with curiosity and aim for the highest, never shying away from taking calculated risks and embracing ambiguity as it comes. Here, the opportunities are limitless for those who dare to pursue bold ideas that exist just beyond the boundary of possibility. Join us and make impact happen with a career at TikTok.
About the Business Risk Integrated Control (BRIC) team
The Business Risk Integrated Control (BRIC) team is missioned to:
- Protect users, including and beyond content consumers, creators, advertisers;
- Secure platform health and community experience authenticity;
- Build infrastructures, platforms and technologies, as well as collaborate with many cross-functional teams and stakeholders.
The BRIC team works to minimize the damage of inauthentic behaviors on our platforms, covering multiple classical and novel community and business risk areas such as account integrity, engagement authenticity, anti-spam, API abuse, growth fraud, live streaming security and financial safety (ads or transactions), etc.
In this team you'll have a unique opportunity to have first-hand exposure to the strategy of the company in key security initiatives, especially in building scalable and robust, intelligent and privacy-safe, secure and product-friendly systems and solutions. Our challenges are not some regular day-to-day technical puzzles - You'll be part of a team that's developing novel solutions to first-seen challenges of a non-stop evolution of a phenomenal product eco-system. The work needs to be fast, transferrable, while still down to the ground to make quick and solid differences.
- Build rules, algorithms and machine learning models to respond to and mitigate business risks in products/platforms. Such risks include and are not limited to abusive accounts, fake engagements, spammy redirection, scraping, fraud, etc;
- Analyse business and security data, uncover evolving attack motion, identify weaknesses and opportunities in risk defence solutions, explore new space from the discoveries;
- Define risk control measurements. Quantify, generalize and monitor risk related business and operational metrics. Align risk teams and their stakeholders on risk control numeric goals, promote impact-oriented, data-driven data science practices for risks.
- Undergraduate, or Postgraduate who is currently pursuing a degree/master in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Internet Security or related STEM majors;
- Proficiency in data/statistical analytical tools, such as SQL, R and Python; - Ability to think and communicate critically, rigorously and concisely;
- Strong sense of ownership and urgency, proactive and skilful communication, ability to handle high complexity problems and cross-functional alignment while being consistently independent, objective and rational;
- Experience in academia or industry leading skills in online social/content platforms, online commercial or financial businesses, state-of-art machine learning theories and applications would be advantageous.
TikTok, known in China as Douyin, is a short-form video hosting service owned by the Chinese company ByteDance. It hosts a variety of user-submitted videos, from content such as pranks, stunts, tricks, jokes and dance, with durations from 15 seconds to ten minutes.