As a team member in the Finance and Internal Audit department at Nationwide, the opportunities are endless! You can grow and learn in diverse areas across many disciplines such as Advanced Analytics, Investments, Actuarial, Accounting, Risk Management, Critical Business Advisor and so much more. Let Nationwide help create your career journey!
Internal Compensation Grade: G5
Location: This position can be filled as Hybrid or Remote
Job Description Summary
Do you have the desire to play a critical role in driving data-based business outcomes? At Nationwide, our Analytic professionals are responsible for modeling complex problems, discovering insights and identifying business opportunities using scientific research methods, statistics, machine learning and data visualization techniques. They participate in all phases of the analytic lifecycle, from research design, data collection and data processing to model building, deployment and presentation of results.
Our industry-leading workforce uses an agile work environment and a collaborative culture to deliver outstanding solutions and results. If that sounds like something you aspire to, we want to know more about you!
As a Consultant, you'll synthesize data architecture and data transformation skills to identify areas for process simplification and data integration opportunities, providing recommendations and solutions to the project team.
- Understands data produced by business processes and can relate that specialized knowledge to solving business problems using analytic techniques. Identifies solution opportunities for enhancement of analytic data to support advanced analytics across the organization.
- Plans and manages execution of work, participates in planning and delivers on commitments. Participates in the development of scope, risk/control matrix, project timelines, and assignments. Work may span more than one project or focus area.
- Collaborates with leadership to develop analytic strategies for the business unit. Consults with business partners to understand, align and deliver analytic work
- Builds applications that align to business needs and support objectives using statistical, database and/or general programming languages and tools.
- Reviews analytic products and provides feedback and coaching to project team associates.
- Builds and maintains relationships and serves as a trusted business advisor to clients, internal risk partners and other business partners. Creates partnerships across the enterprise to enhance organizational analytics capabilities.
- Contributes to the continuous improvement of department processes through ongoing initiatives.
- Designs and develops data sets. Understands how to create analytical data sets to meet the needs of scientists and researchers who are building statistical or machine learning models.
- Explores existing and new data sources to evaluate the value of that data for future analytic efforts and prototype analytic data solutions. Successful exploratory work results in requirements for enhancement in both operational and analytic environments.
- Crafts, builds, packages and communicates analytic work (synthesis) using appropriate statistical techniques to determine patterns to drive business outcomes and trends.
- Understands and uses standards for implementation of analytic data asset builds into the Model Factory and knowledge of statistical techniques and advanced machine learning algorithms.
May perform other responsibilities as assigned.
- Reporting Relationships: Reports to Director, Analytic Engineering. This is an individual contributor role.
Typical Skills and Experience:
Education: Undergraduate studies required in computer science, mathematics, analytic, data science, and related degrees. Specialization in data and analytics preferred; SQL skills may be required. Master's degree is a plus.
- License/Certification/Designation: None required
- Experience: More than four years of demonstrated experience in role responsibilities.
- Knowledge, Abilities and Skills: Proven expertise (increasing with the level) is expected for query languages such as SQL, database architecture and data warehousing, reporting tools (e.g., Tableau), requirements development, cloud computing, UNIX/Linux terminal and/or shell scripting experience. Programming languages such as Python, R, SAS, RESTful API’s and endpoint, Spark or other distributed computing platforms, machine learning experience, data modeling and mining a plus. Experience in the financial services industry, especially in insurance, is desired. Enterprise data assets is desired.
- Other criteria, including leadership skills, competencies and experiences may take precedence.
- Staffing exceptions to the above must be approved by the hiring manager’s leader and HR Business Partner.
- Values: Regularly and consistently demonstrates the Nationwide Values.
Overtime Eligibility: Exempt (Not Eligible)
- Working Conditions: Normal office environment
- ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company and affiliated companies is a group of large U.S. insurance and financial services companies based in Columbus, OH. The company also operates regional headquarters in Scottsdale, AZ; Des Moines, IA; San Antonio, TX; Gainesville, FL; Raleigh, NC; Sacramento, CA, and Westerville, OH. Nationwide currently has approximately 34,000 employees, and is ranked #73 in the 2019 Fortune 500 list.
No. of Employees
One Nationwide Plaza, West Nationwide Boulevard, Columbus, Ohio, USA