Coupang is one of the largest and fastest-growing e-commerce platforms on the planet. We are on a mission to revolutionize everyday lives for our customers, employees and partners. We solve problems no one has solved before to create a world where people ask, “How did we ever live without Coupang?” Coupang is a global company with offices in Beijing, Los Angeles, Seattle, Seoul, Shanghai, and Silicon Valley.
Coupang's extensive logistics system is composed of hundreds of large and small logistics nodes, and there are tens of thousands of possible connections between each node. Through this network, more than 1 billion packages are shipped to each household a year.
As a Senior Staff Data Scientist in Coupang’s FTS(Fulfillment and Transportation Systems) organization, you will lead the development and deployment of machine learning and optimization models to solve business problems with complex rules and conflicting objectives, such as labor planning, task scheduling, FC picking/stowing optimization, operational anomaly detection, transportation routing.
- Lead the application of machine learning/operations research/analytical techniques to address fulfillment center business needs, improve logistics processes, help cut operation cost, and optimize customer experiences
- Mine and analyze domain data to identify operational inefficiencies, partner with Product and Operations teams to drive improvement opportunities
- Guide cross-functional teams in the development of solutions driven by advanced algorithms, help perform experiments to validate approaches and provide actionable insights to stakeholders
- Work together with domain engineering teams when integrating analytical models built by the team into domain applications
- Help lead the FTS Data Science team’s direction and strategy while shaping a long-term vision to improve Coupang’s business with data science
- Mentor and help grow junior Data Scientists in the team and across the organization
- Masters or PhD in Statistics, Operations Research, Computer Science or another quantitative discipline
- 10+ years of work experience in application of machine learning/OR techniques to solve practical business problems
- Track record of having solved large scale algorithmic challenges in fulfillment center operations, logistics or supply chain management
- Programming experience in Python, R, and SQL to manipulate data, develop algorithms, and draw insights from large data sets
- Experience with exploratory data analysis, statistical analysis and testing and development of predictive / prescriptive models
- Deep understanding of the underlying mathematical foundations of statistical approaches, machine learning algorithms and optimization modeling
- Expert in formulating linear, convex, and nonlinear optimization problems
- Experience in optimizing algorithms for performance in production
- Very good communication skills in English, written and verbal
- Ability to present data and its implications in a clear and concise manner to an executive audience
- Strong interest in reading and applying academic research to business problems
- Experience in Bayesian inference, reinforcement learning, linear relaxation and Monte Carlo simulation
- Experience working with distributed data computing tools, such as Hive and Spark
- Ability to understand and tweak code written in Java, C, or C++
- Experience with data visualization and reporting tools such as Tableau or Microsoft PowerBI
Coupang is a South Korean e-commerce company based in Seoul, South Korea, and incorporated in Delaware, United States. Founded in 2010 by Bom Kim, the company expanded to become the largest online marketplace in South Korea. Its expansion led the company to the video streaming distribution after the launch of the service Coupang Play. Coupang is often referred to as the Amazon of South Korea, due its position and corporate size.