Every day, tens of millions of people from around the world come to Roblox to play, learn, work, and socialize in immersive digital experiences created by the community. Our vision is to build a platform that enables shared experiences among billions of users. This is what’s known as the metaverse: a persistent space where anyone can do just about anything they can imagine, from anywhere in the world and on any device. Join us and you’ll usher in a new category of human interaction while solving exceptional challenges that you won’t find anywhere else.
WHY DATA SCIENCE & ANALYTICS?
The Data Science & Analytics organization's mission is to increase our speed, frequency and knowledge of making decisions at scale by instilling a data-influenced approach to building products. We cover a wide area of the data spectrum including analytical data engineering, product analytics, experimentation, causal inference, statistical modeling and machine learning. Aligned and partnering with product verticals, we use this extensive tool belt to discover new opportunities and unmet use cases, influence and shape the product roadmap and prioritization, build data products and measure the impact on our community of players and developers.
As the first Data Scientist in the Infrastructure organization, you will focus on observability and be a key participant in helping our Infrastructure engineering teams shape the future of Roblox. You'll partner with engineers, data scientists, technical program managers, and leaders across the company to leverage telemetry to accelerate the scaling of our platform, reduce relative costs, react faster to operational tasks and, ultimately, understand how it impacts our players and builders.
- Passionate about data. You have the curiosity and drive to learn new techniques and tools to extract value from data. You have a degree in Statistics, Economics, Computer Science or other relevant field.
- A strong communicator. You understand that analysis must be presented in meaningful ways and engage in spirited discussions about the findings. You have the ability to explain technical concepts to non-technical audiences and discuss appropriate tradeoffs.
- A capable statistician. You understand the value of characterizing data by its distribution. Covariance, Bias, and Conditional Probability are concepts that you rely on every day.
- An expert collecting and transforming data with SQL and a scripting language such as Python or R. You're experienced in automating efforts and crunching massive volumes of data using big data frameworks such as Spark, Hadoop or Flink.
- Adept at developing models to draw insights from data. You use regression techniques, data mining, statistical techniques and deep learning to create new, scalable solutions to solve difficult business problems. You understand when to apply the appropriate methodology, tool, framework to maximize impact.
- Reporting to the Sr Manager, you will build real-time forecasting and anomaly detection to understand root causes to changes in metrics.
- Build smart alerting algorithms and automate root cause detection as much as possible.
- Access raw data, and then transform it, analyze it, and render it in a compelling way--all using a custom analytics tool kit built from state-of-the-art open-source libraries.
- Accelerate scaling operations through your understanding of the underlying data and your ability to partner with engineering leaders to provide insights that drive growth.
- Evaluate the success of platform engineering launches.
- Influence how Roblox provides a better experience for the community of players and developers.
- 4+ years of industry experience or 4+ years of relevant academic and industry experience
- 2+ years partnering with engineering teams/systems or engineering background
- 2+ years of experience using big data query/processing languages such as SQL, Hive or Spark to transform/manipulate very large datasets
- 2+ years of experience in one or more scripting languages such as Python or R
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Applied Math, Physics, Engineering, Statistics, Operations or other technical field
- Advanced Degree in Computer Science, Optimization, Applied Math, Physics, Engineering, Statistics, Economics or other technical field
- Strong data engineering background. e.g. telemetry logging, data pipeline building
- 5+ years of industry experience in data science and analytics focused on enhancing engineering platforms or operations
- 4+ years of experience in a similar environment such as the tech sector
- Experience leading a new area as an individual contributor
- Ability to communicate analytics results and data storytelling to influence engineering teams and leaders
- Applies first-principles reasoning to solve complex problems
- Industry-leading compensation package
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Roflex - Flexible and supportive work policy
- Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
- At Roblox HQ:
- Free catered lunches
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
Roblox Corporation is an American video game developer based in San Mateo, California. Founded in 2004 by David Baszucki and Erik Cassel, the company is the developer of Roblox, which was released in 2006. As of December 31, 2021, Roblox Corporation employs approximately 1,600 people.