Chemix is seeking a highly-motivated data scientist to develop and expand our AI platform for battery materials discovery. Our AI platform is the core of Chemix. Though data is first and foremost in any application of AI, it is typically very scarce in materials development. We've designed our entire R&D operation to generate battery materials datasets of unprecedented size and quality. As a data scientist at Chemix, your mission is to develop machine learning models, perform statistical analyses, and ultimately design and implement the pipelines that turn our data into actionable results. You'll make a fundamental contribution to developing the batteries that will power the electrification revolution in transportation and beyond.
As an early employee at a fast-moving startup, we expect you to quickly and creatively solve all kinds of technical problems, including those beyond your core expertise. An ideal candidate is able to learn quickly, is eager to stretch their knowledge of the ML and data software stack, takes pride in the quality of their work, and wants to make a real impact in energy storage technologies for electric transportation.
- Develop machine learning and data pipelines for a wide variety of applications and types of battery data
- Discover and introduce new ML models, statistical methods, software frameworks, and libraries
- Contribute code to Chemix's internal codebase (Python)
- Interface with our machine learning scientists, battery engineers, and customers
- Implement best practices for code development and ML-ops, experiment tracking, etc
- Inform the optimization of the R&D process that generates our data
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, or the physical, chemical, or biological sciences or engineering, combined with 3+ years of work experience in data science for the physical sciences
- Fluency in core data science and statistics concepts, i.e. the contents of An Introduction to Statistical Learning by Tibshirani et al.
- Extensive experience with the python data science stack: pandas, numpy, sklearn, plotly, scipy
- Experience with the fundamentals of data science and software ops: git, testing, CI/CD
- Clear communication and good people skills
- Strong organization and ability to manage parallel projects
Nice to have:
- Experience with workflow orchestration tools, e.g. Airflow, Prefect, Luigi, and scaling tools such as Dask
- Experience with various modern neural network architectures such as LSTM, transformers, GCNN, etc
- Experience with physics-based modeling of batteries (e.g. DFN model) and/or chemistry (DFT, MD, QC, etc)
- Experience with cloud web services (AWS, Google Cloud, Azure, etc.), Docker, Kubernetes
- Familiarity with experimental chemistry/materials science
- Stock Option Plan
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- Retirement Plan (401k)
- Paid Time Off (Vacation, Sick & Public Holidays)
- Family Leave (Maternity, Paternity)
Chemix's ultimate mission is to accelerate the global transition to sustainable energy. To achieve this ambitious goal, we are using AI to fundamentally accelerate the development and deployment of next-generation batteries. Chemix is currently backed by a group of fantastic VC firms, including Radical Ventures, Mayfield, Urban Innovation Fund, and Berkeley SkyDeck, as well as strategic partners in both battery manufacturing and EV industries.
No. of Employees
Sunnyvale, California, USA