At Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 35,000 employees around the world work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We’re looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the world.
Data engineers are responsible for ensuring the availability and quality of data needed for analysis and business transactions. This includes data integration, acquisition, cleansing, harmonization and transforming raw data into curated datasets for data science, data discovery, and BI/analytics. Responsible for developing, constructing, testing and maintaining data sets and scalable data processing systems.
Data engineers work closest with Data Architects and Data Scientists. They also work with business and IT groups beyond the data sphere, understanding the enterprise infrastructure and the many source systems.
Input is raw datasets. Output is analytics-ready, integrated/curated datasets.
Key capabilities in this role family include:
- Data Acquisition - is the process of gathering and storing data in a location and format that it can be consumed for data preparation and/or downstream business uses.
- Data Preparation - is an iterative process for exploring, integrating, cleaning, validating and transforming raw data into curated datasets
- Data Publishing - is the act of releasing data in consumable form for (re)use by others.
Note: All data engineer roles should have a foundational set of knowledge in: communication, leadership, teamwork, problem solving skills, solution / blueprint definition, business acumen, architectural processes (e.g. blueprinting, reference architecture, governance, etc.), technical standards, project delivery, and industry knowledge.
Business Analysis and Technical Leadership
- Engages with business and proactively seeks opportunities to deliver business value.
- Understands business requirements and effectively translates business needs and process into technical terms, and vice versa
- Elicits and defines requirements
- Ensures appropriate business roles are engaged in solution execution.
- Participates in design reviews to ensure traceability of requirements.
- Networks with appropriate IT colleagues to determine solutions to meet business partners’ needs.
- Seeks opportunities to reuse existing processes and services to streamline support and implementation of key systems.
- Stay abreast of tools and technologies to influence IT strategy so that it provides best usage opportunities for business
- Ability to adapt quickly in a constantly changing environment
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, management information systems or equivalent work experience
- 4-7 years of experience in the core tools used by the solution services team (e.g. SQL, AWS)
- Ability to work with business owners to define key business requirements and convert to technical specifications
- Experience with security models and development on large data sets
- Expertise in the design, data modeling creation, and management of large datasets/data models
- Ensure successful transition of applications to service management team through planning and knowledge transfer
- Develop expertise of processes and data used by business functions within the US Affiliate
- Responsible for system testing, ensuring effective resolution of defects, timely discussion around business issues and appropriate management of resources relevant to data and integration
- Expertise in system performance and user experience of solutions
- Expertise with analytics and business intelligence solutions (e.g. 1 or more of Tableau, PowerBI, QuickSight, Datorama, etc.)
- Partner with and influence vendor resources on solution development to ensure understanding of data and technical direction for solutions as well as delivery
- Experience with AWS
- Experience with Agile Development.
- Familiarity with AWS database technologies.
- Experience with Lambda
- Familiarity with S3, Kinesis, Glue and Athena.
- Experience with Apache Airflow and Ansible
- Experience with GitHub and Jenkins toolsets
- Hands-on experience with Glue, understanding of ETL/File movement concepts and tools
- SAS / R – understanding and/or hands-on experience preferred (users will be using SAS/R)
- Familiarity with Linux Scripting
Preferred Qualifications / Certifications
- Experience working in regulated environments and with internal systems quality policies and procedures
- Experience in working in Scrum - agile methodologies, coding standards, code reviews, source management (GITHUB), build processes
- Knowledge of the data architectures associated with information integration, data visualization, & data warehousing
- Experience in development and deployment on cloud infrastructure
- Pharmaceutical or healthcare industry experience
- Early drug discovery industry experience
- Experience with Sales & Marketing Business processes & systems
- Defining best practices and developing technical standards, design principals, best practices, and frameworks
- Business Intelligence Certifications
- Technical curiosity and desire to innovate
Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly USA, LLC and our wholly owned subsidiaries (collectively “Lilly”) are committed to help individuals with disabilities to participate in the workforce and ensure equal opportunity to compete for jobs. If you require an accommodation to submit a resume for positions at Lilly, please email Lilly Human Resources ( Lilly_Recruiting_Compliance@lists.lilly.com ) for further assistance. Please note This email address is intended for use only to request an accommodation as part of the application process. Any other correspondence will not receive a response.
Lilly does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Eli Lilly and Company
Eli Lilly and Company is an American pharmaceutical company headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana, with offices in 18 countries. Its products are sold in approximately 125 countries. The company was founded in 1876 by, and named after, Colonel Eli Lilly, a pharmaceutical chemist and veteran of the American Civil War.