LDC is looking for a Data Engineer to join the Freight Research platform activities and our growing team of data analytics experts, supporting innovative solutions whose impact is transforming our business. As a data engineer, you will provide the data to enable faster, better, data-informed decision-making within the business. This is an innovative position, bridging the gap between the business unit research activities and the central data engineering team. You will work with a vast array of big and small datasets, from weather forecasts to satellite images, from macroeconomic news feed to market data, from public data to highly sensitive, proprietary information. You closely collaborate with the Freight platform’s data scientists and analysts, supporting the trading activities with high quality information, making sure the right data is consistently available at the right time, implementing the data and analytics best practices and contributing to their definition as our needs evolve. You strive for excellence in the technological setup in close collaboration with the Data & Analytics team, to provide automated, high-quality, real-time indicators, so that data analysts and data scientists can answer business questions directly with confidence.
Along with the below listed responsibilities, the employee should conduct any other business related to the function as required by her or his supervisor.
- Retrieve, clean, model, transform and maintain data from many sources to better understand the factors influencing Freight trading
- Leverage our analytics and data science platform to its full potential to ensure clean, maintainable, predictable results
- Performs ad-hoc analysis of data to choose the best possible data sources
- Troubleshoot and solve data issues
- Ensure data availability, quality, and timeliness by designing performant pipelines and proactive monitoring
- Provide technical support and guidance to Freight data scientists and researchers
- Act as data steward with Freight researchers, traders and operations to help them find and leverage the best data sets for their use case
- +3 years’ experience in Data engineering and/or data science: data modelling, data transformation pipelines, ETL, data management
- +2 years’ experience with a data-oriented programming language, preferably Python, including data manipulation and visualization packages (e.g. Pandas, Numpy, Plotly…).
- Strong proficiency in SQL. Performance optimisation for big, complex data sets. Hands on experience with data storage solutions and their application (SQL, noSQL, data lakes).
- Data mining principles: data collection, wrangling and quality checks using multiple data systems, both on premises and cloud-based
- Experience with collaborative software development best practices: source control strategies (git), peer reviews
Experience with any of the following will be considered a plus:
- visualization tools (PowerBI, Dash apps, other dashboard creation solutions)
- handling big datasets (e.g. geospatial data), exposure to big data techniques like Spark
- Agile development and DevOps tools: CI / CD pipelines, testing and monitoring best practices.
- Support for business-critical data transformation and applications via monitoring and alerting, and contributing to the solution of critical incidents under time pressure
- Flexibility and sense of adaptability in a quick paced, constantly evolving context
- Critical thinking, inclination to make improvements, find new ideas and challenge the status quo
- Passionate about improving data literacy and spreading best practices
- Ability to perform under pressure, prioritize and escalate
- Strong problem solving, quantitative and analytical abilities
- Quick learner with the ability to work independently and with little prompting
- Fluent in English
- Experience in the commodities sector is considered as a plus
- You will work in the Freight platform, one of the most dynamic and innovative business units with a strong team of data scientists
- You will become an expert of the latest cutting-edge technologies in the Analytics domains leveraging Microsoft Azure Platform, working in collaboration with a team of technology and data science experts and accessing high quality training and development opportunities
- You will see the impact of your role in transforming the business
A Bachelor, Master or PhD degree in Computer Science, Business/Management Information Systems, Computer/Systems/Industrial Engineering, Business Analytics, Data Science, Operations Research or Statistics. Other backgrounds will be considered with relevant work experience.
Louis Dreyfus Company B.V.
Louis Dreyfus Company B.V., also called the Louis-Dreyfus Group, is a French merchant firm that is involved in agriculture, food processing, international shipping, and finance.