Our mission is to help people everywhere find a job and company they love. In the process, we’re transforming the workplace experience through the power of transparency and further cementing ourselves as the worldwide leader in employer branding and insights. By choosing a career at Glassdoor, you’ll be directly contributing toward our vision for a world where transparency empowers the workforce and motivates companies to become better employers.
Please note: This role may be open to remote hiring. Our office locations are in San Francisco, CA; Chicago, IL; Uniontown, OH; London, UK; and Dublin, Ireland.
We are looking for a dedicated Data Engineer to join our growing Data Engineering team. The ideal candidate has experience in building scalable data pipelines that enable decision making, analytics, data science and data products. You must have strong, hands-on technical expertise in big data technologies and the ability to adapt to emerging technologies and fashion robust, scalable solutions.
We embrace a wide variety of technologies and work very closely with data scientists and business stakeholders to deliver impactful end to end solutions. If you are interested in a fast paced environment, the latest technologies, and fun data problems, come join us!
Compensation: $111,200.00 - $166,800.00
At Glassdoor, operating transparently is at the heart of everything we do. That’s why we let job seekers know that salary ranges may differ for jobs depending on where these positions are filled. It’s no secret that the cost of living and other economic considerations vary widely across the country and the world.
At Glassdoor we apply a “tier” system to promote consistency in level of compensation for where roles are filled in different locations. The tiers are as follows:
- Tier 1 encompasses the highest salary range for states where large metropolitan areas are located (ie: San Francisco, New York City, Washington DC, & etc)
- Tier 2 encompasses salary ranges 15% less than those in Tier 1 for states with mid-sized cities (ie: Chicago, Dallas, Portland, etc)
- Tier 3 encompasses salary ranges 20% less than those in Tier 1 for states with smaller
- cities (including our Ohio office, Nevada, etc)
You can learn more about our compensation philosophy here and see salary ranges for all Glassdoor jobs here.
What you'll do:
- Design and develop big data applications using a variety of different technologies.
- Develop logical and physical data models for big data platforms.
- Automate workflows using Apache Airflow.
- Write data pipelines using Apache Hive, Apache Spark, Apache Kafka.
- Create data ingress solutions on AWS using various technologies and techniques
- Provide ongoing maintenance and enhancements to existing systems, and participate in rotational on-call support.
- Learn our business domain and technology infrastructure quickly and share your knowledge freely and proactively with others in the team.
What you'll bring:
- 1+ years of hands-on experience with developing data warehouse solutions and data products.
- 6+ months of hands-on experience developing a distributed data processing platform with Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Airflow, Kafka, etc.
- 1+ years of hands-on experience in modeling and designing schema for data lakes or for RDBMS platforms.
- Experience with programming languages: Python, Java, Scala, etc.
- Experience with scripting languages: Perl, Shell, etc.
- Practice working with, processing, and leading large data sets.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- Strong desire to add to our culture of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Nice To Have
- Exposure to test driven development and automated testing frameworks.
- Background in Scrum/Agile development methodologies.
- Capable of delivering on multiple competing priorities with little supervision.
- Experience working with REST APIs, Streaming APIs, or other Data Ingress techniques.
- Familiarity with AWS or GCS technologies.
Our Company Values and Commitments
- We are open and honest. We share information – the good and the bad – so we can continuously learn, collaborate and make the right decisions. Pay bands, our compensation philosophy, and employee feedback polls are shared publicly.
- We actively pursue new and different ways to further Glassdoor’s mission. We forge our own path by challenging the status quo. The ultimate goal is not just to change how we operate at Glassdoor, but for every employer to follow our lead!
- We work together with integrity, respect and compassion for one another. We have fun together! We are inclusive, fair and humble while remaining confident. We do the right thing, period.
- We are resilient, inventive and fearless. We see challenges as opportunities. With passion and courage, we come together to get the job done.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: We are dedicated to building a company that is more diverse and representative of society at large. Glassdoor externally publishes our Diversity & Inclusion report and information about our employee population to hold ourselves accountable to our dedication. We also provide programs and resources to build a greater sense of belonging for our employees.
Glassdoor is committed to equal treatment and opportunity in all aspects of recruitment, selection, and employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, age, sex, marital status, physical or mental disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, veteran or military status, or any other category protected under the law. Glassdoor is an equal opportunity employer; committed to creating a community of inclusion, and an environment free from discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.
Glassdoor is an American website where current and former employees anonymously review companies. Glassdoor also allows users to anonymously submit and view salaries as well as search and apply for jobs on its platform. In 2018, the company was acquired by the Japanese firm Recruit Holdings for US$1.2 billion.