The Petcare Segment consists of five Divisions: Pet Nutrition, Royal Canin, Mars Veterinary Health N. America, Mars Veterinary Health International & Diagnostics, Kinship. Under this new organization of Petcare Product and Service brands, we launched our Strategy in 2018 with an objective to “Create a Better World for Pets by extending global leadership in Nutrition, Health and Services powered by Data”.
With the breadth and scale of our Petcare businesses we have unique and unrivalled data assets. The potential to create benefits for Pets and sustainable competitive advantage is huge and we need to seize this opportunity now.
Our data assets consist of Veterinary data including appointment and invoice details as well as the medical histories and diagnostic details this provides. We have breed and disease marker data from our DNA diagnostics business (Wisdom Health), Location and Activity Tracking data from our Whistle business. From our nutrition businesses we have sales data, some consumer data as well as valuable information about retailers, Veterinarians, Breeders and Shelters. We also have third party data providing us with product purchasing insights and the potential to develop deeper and broader views into Petcare shopping through collaboration and D2C engagement.
We began our work to leverage these more strategically to power our ecosystem in 2018 and there is a core team at the Petcare level incubating and guiding these efforts.
What are we looking for?
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Marketing, Data Science, Mathematics, Statistics, or other numerate discipline
- Nice to have – Masters / Degree with computing, scientific, statistical or mathematical component
- 3+ years varied technical experience in delivering statistical analytics, data science and insight on large-scale consumer data sets across multiple sectors, including packaged goods and retail
- Hands-on experience with Python (numpy, pandas, etc) is required; Familiarity with PySpark is also desirable
- Must have excellent communication skills, and interact effectively with internal stakeholders
- Good problem solving skills
- Superior planning, project management and organizational orchestration skills and a strong attention to detail
- Confident in identifying and escalating key points/issues
- Truly inspired by, and want to live, our purpose of creating a better world for pets.
- Writes code following PEP-8 guidelines
- Understands the implications of code on execution time
- Can identify dependencies when productionizing models
- Also desirable:
- Passion for growing and strengthening a business using data driven approaches
- Familiarity with cloud-based computing services e.g. Azure, Databricks, etc.
- Enjoys explaining how models and systems work to both non-technical and technical stakeholders.
- Experience in packaged goods, retail and/or medical sector preferable
- Personal traits:
- Comfortable with ambiguity, with a passion for collaboration to achieve objectives
- Good head for numbers
- Quick learner, ability to understand and simplify highly complex scenarios.
- Value focused with high energy and drive.
What will be your key responsibilities?
- We are searching for an experienced Analytics professional to join the data science function; to help deliver the ecosystem analytics roadmap across all divisions; working closely with the division stakeholders in managing and delivering projects; working with global teams to identify and implement efficient delivery of the vision; and, to articulate the strategic opportunities of a pet-centric analytics driven strategy.
The role reports in to the Head of Data Science -North America. The primary responsibilities are:
- Apply data science approaches to understand and predict pet and pet owner behaviors
- Use machine learning techniques, visualizations, & statistical analysis to gain insight into various data sets – some readily available, and some you create and curate yourself
- Collaborate with internal and external teams to ensure we focus on pet-centric product and service recommendations
- Develop compelling stories that provide insight into the drivers of business performance and Pet/Pet Owner behavior
- A desire to develop data science models from idea initiation through to production.
- Ensuring outstanding delivery of pet and pet-owner centric insight, analytics and data science across Petcare divisions
- Work closely with team members and stakeholders to achieve this
- Apply a pet and pet-owner centric approach to problem solving across divisions ensuring highest standards of insight and data science delivery to create change
- Participating in communities of data science talent with a desire to share, network and communicate with other analytical and data experts to advance learning and understanding of pets and pet-owners
- Application and documentation of best practice standards in the execution of analytics projects for value creation
- Enthusiastically learn new technologies and techniques
- Contribute to the upskilling of Petcare by inspiring local teams with insight and story-telling to gain deeper engagement with the Powered By Data strategy
- Adherence to consumer and pet privacy frameworks, terms, consents and approaches to ensure we position ourselves to empower consumers, to leverage effectively data for their advantage, to abide by all laws and relevant best practices
What can you expect from Mars?
- Work with over 130,000 like-minded and talented Associates, all guided by The Five Principles.
- Join a purpose driven company, where we’re striving to build the world we want tomorrow, today.
- Best-in-class learning and development support from day one, including access to our in-house Mars University.
- An industry competitive salary and benefits package, including company bonus.
Mars proudly makes the treats, nutritious meals, & many of your favorite products for over 100 years. Learn why we're ready to become a part of your family. Alongside our consumer brands, we proudly take care of half of the world’s pets through our nutrition, health and services businesses.