Brown-Forman’s Data Scientists are part of the Global Advanced Analytics team, reporting into Information Technology and matrixing into Finance. We partner and support projects and processes across many functional groups, including Global Production, Finance, Marketing, and Sales, and have a global scope. Our team is organized in a “Hub” and “Spoke” operating model, where some roles exist within a centralized “Hub”, while other roles are embedded in a function or geographic group (“Spoke”). Our team of Data Scientists exhibit capabilities in the areas such as: Data Visualization, Modeling, Data Wrangling and Data Management, Cross-Functional partnership, and overall analytical skills.
What You Can Expect:
- Data Visualization: A Brown-Forman Data Scientist will design, implement, and support reporting & analysis using advanced data visualization and analytics tools. Our primary tool we use for visualization is Tableau. We also use R Shiny, ggplot2, and plotly. Our data visualization is designed to build publication-ready tools using diverse sets of structured and unstructured data. As we evolve our organizational data visualization capabilities, our Data Scientists monitor and resolve performance related issues specific to dashboard development and delivery, as well as support the development of the organization’s visualization techniques.
- Modeling: A Brown-Forman Data Scientist will support the analytical teams within the organization in creating ways to solve leading-edge problems with analytics. They will build causal and predictive models using R and Python based on integrated data of various structures often stored in a SQL environment. A successful candidate will design algorithms for building new data and expanding modeling capabilities. They will assess models, providing proof and explanation for acceptance tests.
- Data Wrangling and Management: A Brown-Forman Data Scientist will work in tandem with our Business Intelligence team to handle large-scale data and computation, and deployment to platforms for analytical purposes. They will also identify data needs from a variety of sources, combining, and formatting in such a way that is reliable for use in decision making. A Data Scientist will integrate new and/or updated data into new and existing tools and solutions, at times enhancing data sources to accommodate business questions and needs. This will be accomplished utilizing exceptional technical writing skills and demonstrating proficiency in programming languages.
- Cross-Functional Partnership: A Brown-Forman Data Scientist will work in collaboration with other Global Advanced Analytics team members to drive forward projects and priorities. They will also partner with stakeholders across the organization to identify high-impact opportunities to leverage our extensive data to better serve our organization. They will move forward multiple projects by employing project management techniques. A successful candidate will be able to communicate methodologies, as well as lead training on various tools and applications, in order to drive usage and adoption. Junior level data scientist’s time allocation will skew towards technical project delivery as opposed to stakeholder interaction, and are provided more guidance and direction from management.
We Are Looking For People Who:
- Education & Professional Experience:
- BA/BS in Economics, Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, or related fields.
- Several years of relevant work experience.
- Technical Qualifications: A Brown-Forman Data Scientist has experience in analyzing large, complex, multi-dimensional datasets with a variety of tools, and is accomplished in the use of statistical analysis environments (such as R). They will also have some combination of experience with general programming environments, relational databases (such as SQL), an understanding of structured and unstructured data, experience applying statistical concepts and knowledge to real-world applications, and experience with data visualization tools (such as Tableau). Our team values a diversity of skills across the Data Scientists at Brown-Forman and encourages those with some combination of technical qualifications to apply to our team.
What Sets You Apart:
- Strongest Brown-Forman Data Scientists will have a high degree of intellectual curiosity and are proactive. They are a team contributor who puts the success of the group ahead of personal ambitions. They also demonstrate interpersonal skills to develop and maintain effective work relationships with all levels of personnel. Further, a proven desire to improve processes and adapt well to an ever-changing and sometimes ambiguous environment. They also have the ability to work independently at times as well as with the support of manager and team, and execute responsibilities, with the willingness and ability to organize, implement and complete multiple tasks. They can maintain accurate documentation and perform quality work with accuracy and attention to detail.
The Brown-Forman Corporation is an American company, one of the largest in the spirits and wine business. Based in Louisville, Kentucky, it manufactures several well known brands throughout the world, including Jack Daniel's, Old Forester, Woodford Reserve, GlenDronach, BenRiach, Glenglassaugh, Finlandia, Herradura, Korbel, and Chambord. Brown–Forman formerly owned Southern Comfort and Tuaca before selling them off in 2016.